15 March 2019

error code: dlg_flags_sec_cert_cn_invalid - The hostname in the website's certificate differs from the website you are trying to visit

This was one error that I couldn't find a definitive answer for after searching the error:

error code: dlg_flags_sec_cert_cn_invalid - The hostname in the website's certificate differs from the website you are trying to visit

Long story short, in my case this came down to the "Common name" or "CN" in the certificate.
I had created the cert with a CN and some SAN names like so:

CN=application.domain.lan

SAN=application.domain.lan
SAN=application
SAN=servername.domain.lan
SAN=servername
SAN=applicationalias.domain.lan
SAN=applicationalias

Internet Explorer 11, Edge, Chrome and Firefox all tripped over the Common name.
If I typed in the browser: "https://application" the error did not appear. So my conclusion is that the webserver doesn't interpret the domain suffix stated in the common name.

So I recreated the certificate with the Common name: "application".
Binded it in IIS, iisrestart and reloaded the site in IE and behold no more errors.


No comments:

Post a Comment